Ben Bolt is on FM 2508 off U.S. Route 281, seven miles (11 km) south of Alice in central Jim Wells County. The town was laid out in 1904 by L. B. Collins. When he named the town, which is right down the road from Alice, he did so under the influence of a popular song, "Ben Bolt," the first line of which is "Don't you remember sweet Alice, Ben Bolt?" A post office was established at Ben Bolt in 1906.
Palito Blanco was first settled by ranchers who according to local legend named the town for the hackberry trees (Palo Blanco), that grew in the area. The community had a population of twenty-five in 1891. A post office named Palito Blanco was established at the site in 1916, discontinued shortly afterwards, and reactivated in 1928. By 1933 Palito Blanco had an estimated population of twenty and five businesses. In 1936 the town included one school, two cemeteries, four businesses, multiple farm units, and various dwellings. The town's population had increased to 100 by 1943 but by 1950 had dropped to forty. During the 1950s and 1960s Palito Blanco's population remained constant, and by 1963 the town included two schools, San José church, and several dispersed dwellings. Palito Blanco has had very little change and continues to be a very peaceful community.
The Ben Bolt and Palito Blanco Communities are served by the Ben Bolt-Palito Blanco Independent School District. Its schools include Palito Blanco Elementary School for grades K-3, Ben Bolt Middle School for grades 4-8, and Ben Bolt-Palito Blanco High School for grades 9-12.